domingo, 27 de janeiro de 2013

Pequeno texto sobre um trabalho fundamental que forma o meu "Códice"


Alan Strang: ___

"Equus. 
Take me. Whoa, down, easy, boy, easy.
Equus, the Godslave.
Faithful and true, that's it.
He's good.
Equus, son of Fleckwus.
Son of Neckwus.
Walk.
Here we go.
The king rides out on Equus, mightiest of horses.
Only I can ride him.
His neck comes out of my body.
It lifts in the dark. Equus, Godslave.
Now the King commands you.
Tonight, we ride against them all. The hosts of Bowler... the hosts of Jodhpur... 
all those who show you off for their vanity... tie rosettes on your head for their vanity.
Come on, Equus, let's get them.
Trot! Steady, steady! That's it, steady.
Cowboys are watching, taking off their Stetsons.
They know who we are. They're admiring us.
Bowing low unto us. Come on, show them.
Canter!
And Equus the Mighty rose against all.
His enemies scatter.
His enemies fall.
Turn! Trample them!
Stiff in the wind. My mane, stiff in the wind!
I'm raw, I'm raw. Do you feel my raw?
Feel me on you?
On you! I want to be inside you.
I want to be inside you, and be you. Forever one person.
I love you!
Bear me away. Make us now one person.
Amen."

Doctor Dysart: ___ 

"Afterwards, he says, they always embrace. He showed me how he stands in the night, like a frozen tango dancer, inhaling the cold, sweet breath. Have you noticed it about horses, the way they'll stand one hoof on its end, like those girls in the ballet? Now he's gone off to rest, leaving me alone... with Equus. I can hear the creature's voice. He's calling me out of the black cave of the psyche. I shove in my dim little torch, and there he stands... waiting for me. He raises his matted head. He opens his great square teeth, and he says: `Why? Why me? Why, ultimately, me? Do you imagine you can account for me... totally, infallibly, inevitably account for me? Poor Dr. Dysart.´ Of course, I've stared at such images before, or been stared at by them, whichever way you look at it. Weirdly, often now with me, the feeling is that... they are staring at us. And in some quite palpable way, they precede us. Meaningless, but unsettling. In either case, this particular one, this huge, implacable head is the most alarming yet. It asks questions I've avoided all my professional life. A child is born into a world of phenomena, all equal in their power to enslave. It sniffs, it sucks, it strokes its eyes over the whole, uncountable range. Suddenly, one strikes. Then another. Then another. Why? Moments snap together, like magnets forging a chain of shackles. Why? I can trace them. I can, with time, pull them apart again. But why, at the start, they were ever magnetized at all... why those particu/ar moments of experience and no others? I do not know, and nor does anybody else! If I don't know, if I can never know, what am I doing here? I don't mean clinically or socially doing, but fundamentally. These whys, these questions, are fundamental."

O trecho acima é um dos momentos mais marcantes da peça Equus (1973), do dramaturgo inglês Peter Shaffer (n. 1926). Trata-se também de uma das experiências mais importantes em minha vida, como escritor, como pessoa-coisa. Eu a descobri pela primeira vez através da excelente filmagem de Sidney Lumet, Equus (1977), com Richard Burton no papel do Doutor Dysart, e Peter Firth no papel de Alan Strang. Creio que era 2003.




A quem não conhece a peça ou o filme, uma pequena sinopse: o Doutor Dysart recebe em seu consultório uma visita de sua amiga Hesther Saloman, uma assistente social que vem implorar que ele trate de um adolescente que acabou de ser preso. Dysart diz não ter tempo, estar sobrecarregado, e pergunta com empáfia cínica: "O que foi que ele fez? Pôs sonífero na bebida de alguma garota? Fogo em alguma coisa?"

Hesther responde, definitiva: "Ele cegou seis cavalos com uma estaca."



Ao começar a "tratar" Alan Strang, o Doutor Dysart entra em sua própria descida ao inferno dos mitos primordiais, e uma batalha consigo mesmo por ser um sacerdote do que ele passa a chamar de Deus do Normal. Para mim, parece um dos últimos grandes trabalhos da modernidade particular que nos afeta até hoje, daqueles guinchos de angústia pela dessacralização e desritualização do nosso mundo que geraram The Waste Land, de Eliot; o "Cantar LI, ou da Usura", de Pound; "A Janela do Caos", de Murilo Mendes. No pós-guerra, os guichos de angústia já haviam sucumbido a grunhidos de agrura do vazio em obras como La Dolce Vita, de Fellini; ou Deserto Vermelho, de Antonioni. Alguns poucos seguiriam entre os guinchos e os grunhidos, como Andrei Tarkóvski e Hilda Hilst dos anos 70 em diante. Não é à toa que o porco assume posição de destaque na obra de Hilst. E eu já não saberia dizer se eu, na Carta aos anfíbios, estava guichando ou grunhindo, porventura já em plena lamúria, aquela descrita por Eliot: "This is the way the world ends, / This is the way the world ends, / This is the way the world ends, / not with a bang, but a whimper".

Levou algum tempo até que conseguisse achar um exemplar do texto da peça. Mas há alguns anos o tenho.

Este texto de Shaffer, e sua encarnação (todo verbo faz-se carne, a não ser em alguns poetas brasileiros contemporâneos) no filme de Lumet é um dos textos fundamentais do que eu chamo de meu Códice, uma lista de textos que formaram (alguns diriam deformaram) minha mente e meu senso de est-É-tica. E é nisso que esta minha ideia de um Códice se diferencia do Paideuma de Pound. Pois enquanto, no Paideuma, Pound nos presenteou com aquela lista maravilhosa de trabalhos infalíveis nos quais podemos aprender sobre a poesia como poiesis, como tekhné, o que me fascina nos trabalhos que vão formando esta minha lista pessoal, este códice, é sua insistência em não ser apenas estética, mas de embater-se e pelejar com o mundo e o Mundo, de forma febril, desesperada, desbordante, impura em suas contaminações com a Vida.

Talvez outro aspecto da diferenciação entre o artista como artesão e o artista como interventor?

Algum dia quero publicar um livro com este título, Códice, contendo uma série de artigos ou ensaios em que me embata e peleje com estes textos. Seria o mais perto que eu poderia chegar do Itinerário da minha Pasárgada. Posso mencionar aqui alguns... como Do Sentimento Trágico da Vida (1933), de Miguel de Unamuno; Temor e Tremor (1843), de Kierkegaard; o poema "Janela do caos", de Murilo Mendes; o romance Qadós (1973), de Hilda Hilst; o conto "Nada e a nossa condição", de João Guimarães Rosa; o filme Krótki film o miłości (Não Amarás, 1988), de Krzysztof Kieślowski, assim como todo o seu Decálogo; e vários outros. Nos últimos dois anos, Simone Weil tem sido um fantasma-mor a pairar sobre minha cachola.

Porque é difícil explicar o que é viver com o que eu chamo de Complexo de Jonas, título de um poema em que trabalho aos pouquíssimos, jogando com o tema em tantos outros poemas, porque tenho medo de escrever este.

E tudo isso, aqui, apenas para recomendar a vocês que assistam à filmagem de Sidney Lumet para a peça Equus, de Peter Shaffer, e leiam o texto em si. Pois neste mundo que segue insistindo que adoremos ao deus da normalidade, do uniforme,  do concreto e sólido e prático, Alan Strang, e, mais importante: gente de carne e osso, ao menos galoparam no Campo Ha Ha. E você? E eu?


Da peça Equus, diálogo entre o Doutor Dysart e Hesther:

 __ I'm talking about passion, Hesther. You know what that word meant originally? Suffering. The way you get your own spirit through your own suffering. Self-chosen. Self-made. This boy's done that. He's created his own desperate ceremony just to ignite one flame of original ecstasy in the spiritless waste around him. He's destroyed for it, horribly. He's virtually been destroyed by it. One thing I know for sure, that boy has known a passion more ferocious than I have known in any second of my life. Let me tell you something: I envy it.

__ You can't.

__ Don't you see? That's what his stare has said all this time. "At least I galloped. When did you?" I'm jealous, Hesther. Jealous... of Alan Strang.

__ That's absurd.

__ Is it?

__ Yes, utterly. Utterly!

__ I go on about my wife. Have you thought about the husband? The finicky, critical husband, with his art books on mythical Greece? What real worship has he known? Without worship, you shrink! It's brutal. I shrank my life. No one can do it for you. I settled for being pallid and provincial out of my eternal timidity. The old story of bluster, and do bugger-all. I didn't even dare to have children... didn't dare to bring children into a house and marriage as cold as mine. I tell everyone Margaret is the puritan, I'm the pagan. Some pagan! Such wild returns I make to the womb of civilization! Three weeks a year in the Mediterranean. Beds booked in advance, meals paid with vouchers, cautious jaunts in hired cars, suitcase crammed with Kaopectate. What a fantastic surrender to the primitive! The "primitive." I use that word endlessly. "The primitive world," I say,"what instinctual truths were lost with it!" While I sit baiting that poor, unimaginative woman with the word, that freaky boy is trying to conjure the reality. I look at pages of centaurs trampling the soil of Argos. Outside my window, that boy is trying to become one in a Hampshire field. Every night I watch that woman knitting, a woman I haven't kissed in six years. And he stands for an hour in the dark, sucking the sweat off his god's hairy cheek. In the morning, I put away my books on the cultural shelf, close up my Kodachrome snaps of Mount Olympus, touch my reproduction statue of Dionysus for luck and go off to the hospital to treat him for insanity. Now do you see?






§

Book of Job, Chapter 39 (King James Bible)

 19. Hast thou given the horse strength? hast thou clothed his neck with thunder? 
 20. Canst thou make him afraid as a grasshopper? the glory of his nostrils is terrible. 
 21. He paweth in the valley, and rejoiceth in his strength: he goeth on to meet the armed men. 
 22. He mocketh at fear, and is not affrighted; neither turneth he back from the sword. 
 23. The quiver rattleth against him, the glittering spear and the shield. 
 24. He swalloweth the ground with fierceness and rage: neither believeth he that it is the sound of the trumpet. 
 25. He saith among the trumpets, Ha, ha
.
.
.




Nenhum comentário:

Arquivo do blog